Tuesday 28 December 2010

Pop Rocky, 1983: Girl talk with Agnetha: “I would love to get married again...”

With the catchy tune ‘The Heat Is On’, the solo career of ABBA singer Agnetha (33) has started successfully – but privately she isn’t that happy...

The uptempo caribbean song ‘The Heat Is On’ is storming the charts worldwide – not least because it sounds a lot like ABBA. Was that on purpose?
Agnetha: “With ABBA, I have the clearer voice that is less capable of modulation. That’s why I am much more identifiable as an ABBA member than Frida. Apart from that, I didn’t want to seek a contrast to the ABBA sound – like Frida did. I like all ABBA songs. On my solo album, I don’t feel the need to bray out everything that wasn’t possible in the ABBA framework.”
What do your ABBA colleagues think about your album?
Agnetha: “Benny and Björn think it’s a good album. Both of them have had a peek into the studio every now and then and they witnessed the emergence of the project. I can’t say anything about Frida, because I haven’t seen her since she is living in London.”
Will you pursue your solo career as intensively as Frida, who can be seen often on the televison screens and is even planning a tour?
Agnetha: “Oh no, that just isn’t possible in my case. First of all because of my two children, who are far more important to me than any kind of professional success. And secondly, because of my fear of flying. Ever since we ended up in a storm during a flight on a private plane with ABBA and we were out of radio contact for half an hour, I have a panicky fear of flying. That’s why I made my promotional trip to England by bus, for instance. But this takes an enormous amount of time.”
What about the rumour that Mauricio de Angeli of the Oliver Onions – who have written a song for you – is your new boyfriend?
Agnetha: “No, that’s absolute nonsense. That was made up by Swedish newspapers, that saw us having dinner together and photographed us at that occasion.”
Is there a new man in your life?
Agnetha: “No, I live alone with my two children, as I have been doing. It’s not that easy for a woman like me to get to know someone. I wouldn’t want another musician, and I barely meet other men. But I would love to get married again. I’m not the kind of person that could live alone eternally.”
Did the divorce from Björn cause any scars?
Agnetha: “I wasn’t the one who left, but he was. I believe that would leave scars with any wife.”
What are your further plans?
Agnetha: “First of all, I’m having a holiday in Sweden – spending time outdoors with the children. On August 19, my first movie will have its premiere in Stockholm. I’m very excited about that. I don’t know yet what’s going to happen after that.”
Do you think that both male ABBA members will record solo albums as well?
Agnetha: “No, they are working on their musical like before. They don’t have any time for that.”
What do you think about ABBA’s future?
Agnetha: “I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be another ABBA album at some point in the future. But there are no definite plans.”
Don’t you think that your answer must be very depressing for ABBA fans?
Agnetha: “I can understand that. But the situation at the moment is simply the way that I described it.”

No comments: