Saturday 4 October 2008

Veronica, 1983: Agnetha wraps her arms around you

This Sunday, Veronica is paying special attention to Agnetha Fältskog, ABBA’s charming blonde. Not without success, she has released a valuable solo album. With only one self-written track: the title-track ‘Wrap Your Arms Around Me’, a request that won’t be easily denied.

Frida chose a rock-producer, Phil Collins; Agnetha went for pop-producer Michael Chapman for her solo album.
Veronica: Why?
Agnetha: “I had two producers at the top of my wish list: Barry Gibb and Chapman. Gibb is fully booked for at least two more years. So I went for Chapman. I know and admire his work. Indeed, Collins is more rock-oriented. I think he’s more suitable for Frida than for me.”
Veronica: Why a solo project? You hate to travel and you’ve only contributed one, albeit very lovely, song.
Agnetha: “This is my first own project since I’m with ABBA. Before that, I recorded a lot of albums as a solo artist. All of those were very successful in Scandinavia. This time, I didn’t feel the need to compose. There were sufficient good songs as it was. There was no urge to compose myself. I hate to travel because I don’t want to leave my children for too long. I did indeed do some promotion, but not much. This time, I don’t have to follow the rules of the group. I can decide for myself how long I want to be away from home. And how often.”
Veronica: Do you have the feeling that you sacrificed a lot for ABBA?
Agnetha: “Of course, but that’s not meant to be a complaint. With ABBA, the interest of the group always comes first. As an individual, you have to put up with that. And that’s not always easy. But I’ve made that decision consciously and I owe my wealth to the group.”
Veronica: You’re still Europe’s most desired blonde. What do you think about that?
Agnetha: “On the one hand, it’s a compliment, on the other hand, I don’t understand much of it. I get marriage proposals from men who know me only from pictures. I suppose they project their dreams on me. They know the exterior, but make up the personality themselves.”
Veronica: Does that personality disappoint in reality?
Agnetha: “I think I’m an average woman. I’m more homely than mundane. I don’t care much for being a star. I don’t feel like a star or sex-symbol. I’m also a little insecure. That’s why I often come across as being distant. When I really get to know someone, I’m much more spontaneous.”
Veronica: What aspect of your success is the least appealing?
Agnetha: “The intrusion on my private life by the media. I often feel threatened by that. And my children have to be protected to a greater extent.”
Veronica: How is your relationship with your ex-husband at the moment?
Agnetha: “As well as can be expected, considering the circumstances. We treat each other with respect.”
Veronica: We were once afraid that your divorce would mean the end of ABBA.
Agnetha: “A lot has been written about that, yes. But the group didn’t have to suffer because of our private problems.”
Veronica: Do the solo projects delay a new ABBA-album?
Agnetha: “No, absolutely not. We’ve decided to work separately for a year. Björn and Benny are involved in a lot of projects. Frida and I didn’t want to sit still.”
Veronica: And after that, solo albums again? Or do you have other goals?
Agnetha: “I like to act. I’ve made a movie in Sweden. A nice experience.”
Veronica: Are you going to appear on Dallas?
Agnetha: “Not that I know of. By the way, I don’t want to go to America either.”
Veronica: Did you have someone special in mind when you wrote ‘Wrap Your Arms Around Me’. Or does a simple journalist stand a chance as well?
Agnetha: “Comedian.”

No comments: